Sunday, November 25, 2012

writing

I am done with another story. I have been saving it to my flashdrive and computer as "Carrie" (named after the main character), but I really can't call it that because of a certain Stephen King novel, so I'll have to think of another name for it. I plan on starting another work soon and combining it with this and another story to form a trilogy. That's how I plan on publishing my work-in "3's."
I have started using Smashwords to get published. It's my "last resort" and "when all else fails" plan. After ironing out all the kinks, I did get something submitted and published there, and yes, it was a trilogy. I called it "3 Worlds Journey." The three stories are called "Squirrelman," "An Adventure in Adaven," and "The Marlon Haze." The first one is an idea I've had since I was a kid;the second is an extension of a story I wrote in creative writing class in college;and with the third, I had had the opening in mind for a long time. I finally got it down on paper several years ago, and managed to extend and expand it.
It pays to work in a university. A professor of creative writing critiqued those stories many years ago and offered some good advice. Unfortunately, he is now gone and is now president at another university. Fortunately, there is another professor here who can offer me advice on such things as editors and publishers. He is a creative writing professor and published novelist. I heard about Smashwords from a close family friend who got all of her degrees from UTD and used it to get published herself. In fact, my father directed her doctorate!
Wish me luck with my publishing and writing! You can look me up at www.smashwords.com. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment